Tomeşti
PDF Print Email

 

Tomeşti is located approximately 24 km northwards of Miercurea Ciuc. It is an ancient settlement; its name is already mentioned officially in the 14th century. To the south it is limited by Ineu (Jenőfalva) and to the north by Sândominic(Csíkszentdomokos). The name of the village was modified several times in different documents. In 1333 it was Sacerdos de Sansto Thoma, in 1441 Zenth Thomas, in 1527 Zentthamas, in 1699 Szenttamás and in 1854 Csík Szent-Tamás.

The structure of the population was similar to that of the neighbouring villages: it was composed of primipili, free Szeklers, serfs and cotters. The only difference is that in Tomeşti lived more families risen to the noble rank, like the Gurzó, Sajgó, Balaskó, Abafi families and the Lázár family that settled later in Lăzarea (Gyergyószárhegy) also had their origin in Tomeşti.

The natural population growth rate has always been high. In 1938 Bözödi György wrote that from the economic point of view Tomeşti is different from its neighbours, its land has a better quality and the well-being of the residents is also higher. He also wrote down that this well-being was accomplished mostly by selling property.

Starting from 1333 the settlement is mentioned in the papal tithe records as the ecclesia parochialis of the villages of Upper Ciuc. The village church was built in the Middle Age in accordance with Saint István’s laws, so it was the common church of the region. About 500 m of the village, north-westwards, at the end of the Garados hill line, on a little hill lie the ruins of the tower, which was part of the Gothic-style church of Tomeşti. The church was surrounded with fortified walls; its inner part has served as a cemetery till nowadays. Near the tower is situated the “bottomless lake”, which is fed by a hot spring. The Csonka tower and the Bottomless Lake build ground for the local mythology of the settlement. Concerning the formation of the above mentioned lake there are legends circling around among the locals.

The Baroque-style Roman Catholic church of the commune was built in 1778 and it is still functionning. Its age was estimated to 400 years of which majestically beautiful Madonna statue was rescued and taken into the new church. It is interesting that it has its origin in the 15th century and was carved in the same workshop as the statue of Şumuleu. On the façade of the church two statues are resting; one of them is Saint István and the other one depicts Saint László; its middle bell, the so called “Hunyadi harang” was brought over from the Csonka tower and it is still used. Sometimes the "Mátyás harang" name can also be heard.

The traditional living of the residents, ensured by animal breeding and agriculture, was also completed by a very peculiar form of mining. From the place called Illonc, situated in the eastern part of Tomeşti, good quality “frog-salt” (quartzite, chert) was extracted, and sold as an ingredient for glass making to the glass foundries of Bicsadu Oltului (Bükkszád) and Zălan (Zalán).

For a long time together with Ineu and Cârţa they constituted a single commune, but from 1 November 2003 it stands as an independent commune. It is a compact settlement, having several streets and the population reaches 2400. All the residents of the village are of Hungarian nationality, considering the communion, it is Roman Catholic. The population deals with agriculture, farming and animal husbandry. The children can attend the courses of the local elementary school and continue their studies in Dăneşti (Dánfalva) or Miercurea Ciuc (Csíkszereda)

 
 

Térkép

 

Terkep

Eseménynaptár

Esemenznaptar

Felcsíki látnivalók

No valid database connection You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 SQL=SELECT title FROM jos_sections WHERE id =
Összes látnivalók >>