Siculeni (Hun. Madéfalva)
PDF Print Email

 

The village settled to the north of Miercurea Ciuc, on the two banks of the Olt river, at the eastern foot of the Mórhegyese; in the course of time has completely grown together with Ciceu (Csíkcsicsó) located southwards. Its initial name was Amadéfalva. It was named after its first landholder. The village is already mentioned in 1333 as the filial union of Racu, but as an independent commune it is mentioned only in 1567 still having the name of Amadéfalva.

It became an independent parish in 1914. The old Saint Anna chapel built in the 1300’s was demolished in 1840 and in its place was built the church of Jesus’ Heart in 1913 and 1914. The construction was funded by the government as well. The locals contributed mostly with public work. The unwritten tradition says that the craftsmen were helped by 14 men, who were not allowed to join the forces. But according to the Domus Historia women and children have also taken their parts in the works. The church of Neo-gothic-Mixed style was consecrated in 1923 under the episcopate of Majláth Gusztáv Károly. The Feast day of Jesus’ Heart is a moveable holiday; it is celebrated on the ninth day after the Feast of Corpus Christi.

Similar to the string settlements situated along the Olt river, it has a very good connection by road and rail to the region of Gheorgheni, Lower Ciuc and Ghimeş. The railway has brought significant changes in the life of Siculeni. The first railway line was inaugurated on 5 April 1897. The railroad, 72 km long, ranged between Sfântu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyörgy) and Siculeni. After six months, the Siculeni-Ghimeş line was introduced into public use. Siculeni has become an important junction point, which in course of the time had several name changes, but since 22 April 2005 the passengers are welcome by the Siculeni-Madéfalva board again.

Unlike other villages of border protection situated in the east, it has soon become a royal demesne, which was arbitrarily given by the actual ruler to the key men being loyal to him. In the 15th century the majority of the families were royal serfs.

There are few Szeklers, who wouldn’t know about Siculeni as much that it is the scene of the Szent Bertalan night of Ciuc, the symbol of the Szeklers’ history. It became famous in the history because of the event of the Siculicidium, or the Massacre at Madéfalva (Madéfalvi Veszedelem). More than 200 Szeklers died as martyrs because they did not want to join the border-guard troops organized by the Empress Maria Theresia,. At Siculeni men from Ciuc and Trei Scaune (Háromszék) were gathering to form the resistance against the peremptory organization of the border-guard troops, however, at dawn, on 7 January the innocent population, being unable to flee, was woken up with canon-fire and brutally slaughtered by the Austrian troops. The stone carved column still keeps the memory of the Massacre at Madéfalva. On its top was placed a Turul bird with its wings open and at its feet bears this inscription: sicvlicidivm, meaning Szekler homicide.

The locals’ love for the past is defined by the statue park located around the church as well, in which monuments were erected in the memory of several events and persons. For example, there is the I World War Monument, the monument in the honour of the Hungarian soldiers who died defending their country, the statue of the priest Zöld Péter, the Jesus’ Heart statue.

The school of the settlement has taken on the name of Zöld Péter in 1991. The first written records originate in 1789 about the educational institution of Siculeni. In 1885 was built the present-day school. At the request of the Romanian railway workers moved into the village there was established a school where the teaching was bilingual.

 
 

Térkép

 

Terkep

Eseménynaptár

Esemenznaptar

Felcsíki látnivalók

No valid database connection You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 SQL=SELECT title FROM jos_sections WHERE id =
Összes látnivalók >>