PDF Print Email


The northernmost and biggest settlement of the Upper Ciuc Basin is Sândominic formed at the meeting of three valleys. The Olt flowing from the Hăşmaşu-Mare under the hills Nyáras and Dorma joins two brooks coming from right, the Nagy-Lok rising in the Fekete-Réz and the Győrmátyás (Szádokút) that starts its journey under Gréces. The village lies in the point where they meet and at the cross point of the national road between Ciuc and Gheorgheni and the county road leading to Bălan.


It is the most populated settlement of Upper Ciuc with a number of inhabitants around 6400. It was of course named after Saint Dominic. The settlement lies in a beautiful setting, having a fine view of the Hăşmaşu-Mare and the Piatra Singuratică. The first known mentioning of the village in a charter is from 1567, where it appears as Zent Domokos with 34 gates. In 1638 it was mentioned with its Latin name Sanctus Dominicus.


By the beginning of the century the village was overpopulated and not able to make a living on its poor lands any more. In order to increase the cultivatable land they broke the hillsides as well, resulting, for example, the terrace-like surface of the Garados hill. In addition to the carrying trade and lime burning, wood processing and mining meant sources of income for the families and it is still the main source. Besides the logging and wood processing, the stone mining was carried out in industrial dimensions for more than 60 years; that is the mosaic production of which raw material is the white and slightly yellow crystalline limestone found in the Garados hill near the village. Furthermore, the neighbouring Bălan and the county seat ensure living possibilities for the community.


After the regime change, the economic life, the agriculture and the spiritual culture of the village flourished. The multipurpose community centre stands as an example. About the region of Upper Ciuc as a whole we can state that it is a region that cultivates its traditions, but maybe Sândominic keeps its folk traditions, dances and music more representatively. There is a small museum functioning in the village, which presents the visitors the olden construction customs, interiors and textiles. A very good example of the keeping traditions is the hemp festival organised regularly.


The Roman Catholic church of the village was built in 1798. Previously, the people of Sândominic attended the mass at the church of Tomeşti, and there were times when they also had a common priest. The main entrance of the existing church, and the hand carved stone door frame of the vestry was made in the 11th century. The carved stone baptismal font of Romanesque style and the stoup have their origin in the 13th century. The statue “Holy Mary with the Child Jesus” was carved in the carving school of Şumuleu in the 15th century and it shows similarities with the other Madonna statues of Ciuc. Also a painted cassette and the painting of the winged altar remained from the old church. Other eight statues depicting saints can also be seen in the present-day church.


In Sândominic was born an eminent personality of Transylvania, Márton Áron the Bishop of Alba Iulia (Gyulafehérvár). On the inside wall of the church, left to the side entrance an impressive wrought iron relief shows the features of the bishop who was baptised in this church.


Near the village, in a place called Pásztorbükk, the Szeklers killed Cardinal Báthori András, the lord of Transylvania, on 31 October 1599. For the murder Pope Clement VII pronounced an anathema upon the commune. On the place of the murder a cross was erected in 1816, which today stands at the inside wall of the church, while a chapel was built in Pásztorbükk. The repentant commune bethinks itself of this event with a mass every year.







Felcsíki látnivalók

No valid database connection You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 SQL=SELECT title FROM jos_sections WHERE id =
Összes látnivalók >>